TITLE: A Thousand Years of Medieval Warfare 2nd Edition
AUTHOR: T.J. Halsall R.G. Boss & G.J. Hyland
PUBLISHER: Newbury Rules
PUBLICATION DATE: 1983
WEB SITE/SUPPORT FORUM: None
PRICE (with date): Unknown
REVIEWED BY: Mark “Extra Crispy” Severin
PERIOD COVERED: Medieval Warfare 500-1500
A Thousand Years of Medieval Warfare (TYMF) is an A4 sized booklet. My copy - obtained used - includes two card stock sheets of charts. The booklet runs 28 pages. As it is a supplement to Warfare Through the Ages it contains only a brief summary of the rules, with additional detail pertinent to the Medieval period. The rules cover the first 15 pages, while charts and explanatory notes occupy 10 pages. The remainder are made up of a glossary and a page of optional rules.
SCOPE: TYME is designed to recreate the battles of the Medieval Period at the tactical level.
ARMY SIZE: Unknown - lack of a given figure ratio or army lists makes this impossible to determine from just these rules.
- Ground Scale: 1 cm = 5 meters for 25 mm figures, 10 meters for 15 mm figures, and 20 meters for 1:300 figures.
- Time scale 1 turn = 30 seconds
- Figure/Base Ratio 1 infantry base = 100 men or 1 figure = 1 ship or 1 base=250 men)
- Recommended Figure Size: 25mm but conversion for 15mm and other scales is covered.
- Table Size: 96” x 60” is recommended for 25mm figures; 64” x 40” is recommended for 15mm figures.
- Game Length: Most games should be playable in one evening
Shako uses flexible b
- The Artillery Phase: Both players simultaneously fire their eligible artillery units. Any units Broken (see below) are removed from play.
- Command Phase: Orders are issued and sent, units are rallied. Divisions check morale followed by the Army.
The Orders System: The primary back.
Movement: As one would ex
Morale Rating: The combat
Artillery Fire: Artillery is a p
Fire Combat: Ranged
Melee: Melee is resolv
The book contains no scenarios, and army lists are sold separately.