TITLE: March Attack: Napoleonic Wargames Rules
AUTHOR: Mark Sims
PUBLISHER: Crusader Publishing
PUBLICATION DATE: 2011
WEB SITE/SUPPORT FORUM:
PRICE (with date): $14.00 (in 2011)
REVIEWED BY: Mark “Extra Crispy” Severin
PERIOD COVERED: The Napoleonic Wars
PDF reviewed. The book runs 84 pages of which the rules occupy the first sixty three. The remainder of the book features troop ratings, leader ratings, charts, counters and advertisements. The book is color throughout, and features designer’s notes as well as an extended and detailed example of play.
SCOPE: March Attack is designed for fighting large (multi-corps) battles at the battalion level.
ARMY SIZE: Given the scope of the game, an army will require a substantial number of figures - several hundred per side for a multi-corps battle.
BASE UNIT: In March attack the base units are infantry battalions, cavalry regiments and artillery batteries.
- Ground Scale: 1” = 60 yards
- Time scale 1 turn = 20
- Figure/Base Ratio 2 bases = 1 battalion or regiment
- Recommended Figure Size: Not stated.
- Table Size: Not stated.
- Game Length: Most games should be playable a long evening
- Infantry: 40 x 30 mm
- Cavalry: 40 x 30 mm
- Artillery: 40 x 40 mm
- Leaders: 30 x 20 and 40 x 30 mm
- Both sides issue orders and roll for arrival
- Morale tests and compulsory movement
- Engaged troops conduct skirmish combat
- Both sides attach and detach leaders
- Determine initiative
- Active charges and movement
- Simultaneous firing phase
- Move chargers and resolve melee
- Change disorder markers
The Orders System: The primary back.
Movement: As one would ex
Morale Rating: The combat
Artillery Fire: Artillery is a p
Fire Combat: Ranged
Melee: Melee is resolv
The rule book includes one scenario - Waterloo - as well as army lists for several major nations. There are no lists for Spain.