TITLE: Ambush Valley
AUTHOR: Piers Brand
PUBLISHER: Ambush Alley Games
PUBLICATION DATE: 2009
WEB SITE/SUPPORT FORUM:
PRICE (with date): $20.00 (in 2020 for a PDF)
REVIEWED BY: Mark “Extra Crispy” Severin
PERIOD COVERED: The Vietnam War
Ambush Valley is a full color, soft bound book of 88 pages. It is not a full rule set but rather a campaign book for Ambush Alley with army lists, scenarios and accessories. The first 22 pages of the book cover special rules, additions and changes to the base rules. These include things like body armor, booby traps and claymores. Also included are rules for vehicles, aircraft and boats (The Brown Water Navy).
Comprehensive army lists take up the next 22 pages.
A campaign system called “Snoopin’ and Poopin’” takes up 16 pages and covers building your force, the campaign turn system, and the rules for building the insurgency.
Finally the book includes a “fog of war” deck designed to be copied and cut out. These are random event type cards that are used in play. At one time you could buy printed decks from the publisher.
Army lists included are:
- United States: Aero-Rifle; CIDG Mike Force; USMC and Infantry platoons. Also included are all the stats etc. for all the vehicles and aircraft.
- Viet Cong: Lists are for both local and main force VC.
- NVA: The NVA platoons include regular infantry as well as sappers.
- ARVN: Infantry; Regional Force Platoon; GVN National Police
- South Korea Infantry Platoon
- ANZAC Infantry Platoon
The rule book includes six scenarios. Five of the scenarios pit a Free World platoon against an enemy force of about the same size. The sixth is the biggest and has two platoons for the US player.
Overall it’s a nice book, clearly written and well illustrated.